Sunday, December 21, 2008

Part 2 - Moving Fast

I never went out with David again... and a year, a full year after going out with him the first time I ran into him at a dance party. Touchy feely, touchy feely... all over again. It just must be his culture. Does anyone know... is that what they do in England? But I don't know, if I don't know someone too well, I am not so into that... oh well. Maybe if I were into him I would be into that...

During our dance party conversation he brought up (the first of many many times) how I left him so quickly on the doorstep and wouldn't give him the time of day after that. Um, apparently not giving him the time of day includes talking to him at the dance party. Obviously he was wrong about that. Anyways, we talked about the date and I brought up the electronic whoopi cushion. He said he had no idea James was doing that. He believed at first that I was sitting there in the 4-Runner farting.... Great... Well we talked for a while and all the sudden Thanksgiving popped into my head. And I guess at the same time that I thought, "He is from England so he probably has no where to go on Thanksgiving." I invited him to come with me & my family to Thanksgiving dinner. He agreed and then I thought, "Shoot. What did I get myself into?" To me meeting the family can just be a fun friend type thing. But then other people think it means something more and that it is serious. But I figured if we haven't gone out for a year, how much can it mean? So I quickly followed up with, "Well let me make sure it is gonna be in town. If it's here you can totally come, but if it isn't you probably won't want to travel to my grandma's with my family so I will just let you know." Good out I thought. Now I can think about it and not be committed.

Well I felt bad about that and realized that he really did have no where else to go so he might as well come with me. He did and we had a fine time. We ate the turkey dinner, talked about the food differences from here and England and then we played some basketball. (That's what my family loves to do after eating.) He was great. Fun to be around, polite, and just genuine. But I still didn't develop any feelings more than that for him.

On my way to pick him up (he hasn't gotten a U.S. drivers license yet), I stopped by a store to buy "27 Dresses" so I was late to get him. After dinner I dropped him off at his house and said, "Thanks for coming." He gave me a hug and said, "Thanks for inviting me." I went back with my family and hung out a little bit more. I got a text a little later that said, "I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind watching 27 Dresses tonight." I was like, "Ok, I have nothing else to do I will let you know when I'm on my way over..." I ended up letting my family borrow 27 Dresses but he still wanted to watch a movie so we pulled out "Hitch." Good ol' Hitch. I told him that everything in this movie was way true and that if a guy wanted to know what a girl thought, they just needed to watch the movie.

We were far enough apart during the movie that there would appear to be nothing going on. I even invited my roommate in and she watched it with us. At the point in the movie where Alex Hitchins was explaining that if a girl fumbles with her keys she wants you to kiss her vs. opening the door right away means, nope sorry. I said, "That is so true! That is just so right on the dot, it's crazy!" He just looked at me and said, "Remember how fast you went inside the night we went out?" I was like, "Shoot! Awkward." I think i said, "Well... uh... my roommates really needed me that night..." I did not tell him that James kept lying to me and telling me he was going to kiss me b/c that's what they do in their culture not did I tell him that James had been lying to him. Because at the exact moments he was telling me that David would kiss me he was telling David that I wanted to be kissed... Ya... this is why I didn't talk to him for a year.

I drove him home and as he was getting out of the car he leaned over to give me another thank you hug. I was in the middle of saying, "Thanks again for coming to Thanksgiv..." when he kissed me right on my open talking mouth! AAAHHHHH!!!!! That was such a surprise. I didn't know what to do except kiss him back. Oh shoot. This is where dating gets complicated because people do stuff that they don't really mean... (I aways say I am NOT good at dating.)

Well we kissed for a minute and I looked up and saw that his garage door was open and then I noticed the headlights shining in the back window of my car. SHOOT!!!! His uncle was patiently waiting behind my car to pull into the driveway. I got so flustered because I am sure the uncle saw us kiss I said, "David! Get out! Get out right now!" He just sat there and said, "Doree, just move the car over to the other side of the driveway..." I did like a 50 point turnabout just reversing and pulling forward trying to get the car to the other side of the driveway. His uncle FINALLY drove past and I still kept telling David to just get out of the car and that what we did was not good. He admitted that it was his first time ever kissing someone (he is 21!) and that made me feel even worse. I felt horrible horrible horrible! Well then I tell him to get out again, I said it wasn't the kissing that not good. It was me! I just needed to go. I looked up and his uncle was watching us out the garage window. Ugh! Again I am flustered and I am like, "Go inside, please, just get out of the car." He calmly told me that he had a great evening and went inside. His uncle opened the garage door and was peaking around house at him as he was unlocking the front door that's the last thing I saw as I drove away.

1 comment:

becky rigby said...

Doree that's crazy! My family plays basketball after eating Thanksgiving dinner too. :) You kill me, I can't believe you fell for the talking/open mouth kiss. It's the oldest trick in the book, clearly this was not his first kiss.... naughty naughty!