Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mo blind date problems at the corn maze

In my single college congregation there were two amazing girls who I pretty much envied all the time. They'd been friends since birth and I was always a little jealous of their awesomeness. So when one of them called me to ask me for a favor I quickly agreed. The favor was to go on a blind date with one of their boyfriend's old friends from high school. So off we went to the corn maze...

The first warning sign should have been the group that I was going with: one engaged couple, two married couples (one married for less than a month), and a couple living together. Not the best group for a first date with a person you've never met.

Warning sign number two was the teensy tiny car we took....ummm yeah...only ONE car...for ten of us.

Warning sign three was the lack of allergy medication I had taken that day.

So we get to the corn maze and almost immediately my allergies start up. I am sniffing and my eyes are watering and I'm mostly miserable. The second we hit the corn maze the other couples all go off in different directions to do "engaged couple" things (and i'm not exaggerating. We accidentally walked by the most recently newlyweds in an awkward corn-maze-makeout situation). So we're walking along, trying to not look at the maker-outers all around, and attempting to have non-awkward first date conversations. I distinctly remember looking up at the sky and talking about the weather. A lot. The sky was very clear that night, so there wasn't even much to talk about on that front. Our other topic of conversation? His trench coat. He was wearing a floor-length leather trench coat which he was extremely proud of. He told me about how he had saved up money for it and how the people he went to high school with thought it was weird. But it wasn't weird! They were the ones that were weird; wearing their name-brand clothes and ski parkas. We talked about the part his trench coat played throughout his life and by the end of the date I knew that trench coat way better than I ever knew the guy. By the time we got out of the maze my eyes were almost swollen shut. I hadn't thought to take tissues with me, so you can guess what state my nose was in. We then proceeded to wait for the rest of the group who came out much later with a few corn husks in their hair. Unfortunately for me the only mode of transportation was transporting the whole group so I couldn't really go home. We went to 7-11 for hot chocolate and the rest of the group finally realized that I could no longer see and I was kind of disgusting to look at. We dropped off my date at his car, I rolled down the window and said thanks (probably), and we were off. So much fun.

2 comments:

becky rigby said...

Oh Doris, that is horrible! That's why you need to move down here and live with us. We could find you some FINE men. =) I miss your face.

Carly said...

gosh. you poor girl! i can relate to the allergy thing- and it is completely miserable cause once they start they never stop. and what's the deal with the married/engaged couples making out all over the place? you'd think that for at least part of one night they could abstain!